Friday, July 15, 2011

Just saw HP 7-2

Yes. It's Harry Potter 7-2.

Just thought I'd write down some of my thoughts about the movie(s) here. Be advised, I will dive into some spoilers and some ideas and concepts that may piss a few purists off.

And here we go...

First: The movie itself was, in one word, EPIC. Epic special effects. Epic fight scenes. Epic score. Epic plot. Epic. EPIC! EPIIIIIIIIC!!!!!!!!!!!

But I realized a few things throughout the movie. One is more of a joke, but can be viewed logically all the same. Harry Potter is a Christ figure in the series. He's hailed as the chosen one, the person who will save the wizarding world ferom Voldemort. He even DIES and RISES FROM THE DEAD. Tell me that isn't a Christ figure if you've ever seen one. And Voldemort's little "Mudblood Genocide", destroying the Muggle-born wizards so on;y his MASTER WIZARD RACE populates the earth can easily be seen as the Naziz.

Here comes the joke part of this analysis:

Harry Potter 7 is, if you look at the two sides of the conflict as such, JESUS VERSUS THE NAZIS.

I apologize for ruining this movie forever.

Onto a more serious point of analysis, I realized that Harry never really developed much as a character throughout the entire series.Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember any instance of Harry's character "Changing" throughout the films(maybe in the books i never read, but I digress.)

All the other characters of importance develop throughout the series:
-Ron grows from a cowardly littel ginger to a badass who conquers his insecurities head on and chops it to pieces with a magic sword
-Hermione learns to be a little less of a brainiac who lives by books and logic and the law and learns to be more impulsive and "around the rules"
-Even friggin Nevil goes from a spineless weakling and has about 3 moments of pure undiluted AWESOME in the movie.
-Whereas Harry is as brave and true at the beginning as the series as he was at the final battle.

Other than that little gripe, the movie was overall really impressive. There was always something awesome going on, and if  you can get around all the death--and I mean ALL the death-- it's a really fun and entertaining movie, and a good ending to a legendary fantasy series.

It is a MILION times better than Transformers 3. Off topic, I know, but T3 was just.... eugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment